Use Cefotetan 1g alone for all procedures.
-If >80kg,use 2g
-If allergic, use Levofoxacin/Metronidazole 500mg/500mg.
If patient is already receiving IV antibiotics (Cefotetan, Zosyn or Flagyl) for treatment, give a pre-incision dose if the last dose was administered more than 1hr prior.
Re-dose antibiotics if the case is prolonged beyond 4hrs (examples include Cefotetan, Zosyn, and Flagyl)
CHG Skin Prep*
ALWAYS USE: Chloraprep
-Open wound (optional)
Wound protectors are clinically proven to decrease the risk of wound infection and maintain moisture at the incision site.
Observe Hand Hygiene*
Gel in prior to entry to OR room
Wash your hands with soap and water after degowning and degloving.
Skin Closure Protocol*
- Surgeon announces "Time to Close."
- Surgeon confirms Wound Classification (clean-contaminated, contaminated, or dirty)
- Scrub Nurse removes all dirty instruments, including:
-Forceps, Needle holder
-Bovie cautery pen
- Sterile gloves and gown change by all team members
- Clean closure instruments are brought to field.
- Saline irrigation of wound after fascia is closed
- Dressing application of occlusive dry dressing (e.g. island dressing, gauze with tape or Tegaderm).